We are officially opening our university’s 102nd academic year, which comes with numerous challenges, a lot of hard work and intensive studying and yet – of which I am certain – also with a great deal of satisfaction, joy and success – said AGH UST’s Rector, Professor Jerzy Lis as he opened the formal session of the University Senate held in connection with the official commencement of the 2020/2021 Academic Year. It was the first academic year inauguration ceremony with participation from the AGH UST’s new authorities.
The ceremony started with a Holy Mass held at St. Ann’s Collegiate Church by rev. Tadeusz Panuś, followed by a procession including AGH UST’s Orchestra and the University authorities: Rector, Vice-Rectors and Deans accompanied by flag guards. This year saw the traditional procession of the university community being more modest and less numerous owing to the pandemic and the restrictions that come with it.
At the Grand Hall, after the AGH UST’s Song and Dance Ensemble “Krakus” sang Gaude Mater Polonia, Professor Jerzy Lis - AGH UST’s Rector - welcomed the attending guests: representatives of central, provincial and local governments, the University’s staff and students, all other guests present at the Hall as well as all members of the audience participating online.
– In this year’s election the AGH UST community bestowed upon me the honourable and extremely responsible office of the University Rector. I would like to most cordially thank all staff members as well as students of our Alma Mater for the immense support and trust they have shown me – said Professor Jerzy Lis, who also very warmly thanked Professor Tadeusz Słomka, who served as AGH UST Rector from 2012 to 2020.
– Dear Rector, Dear Tadeusz, on behalf of the entire AGH UST community I would like to say a very special thanks to you – for our University’s development as well as for your big heart and all your commitment.
AGH UST Rector went on to outline the four major pillars on which he intends to build the plan of action and the University’s development over the next four years.
– I am convinced that this University has a remarkable potential to develop even faster and compete with the best universities in Poland and abroad as we have the advantage that allows us to advance in the most topical areas and directions, the same as those pursued by the best and most prestigious universities in the world – he added.
Professor Jerzy Lis also mentioned AGH UST’s recent successes, which include the official recognition as a research university and a European University, as well as the first ever ERC grant won by AGH UST.
– I am glad to be able to manage an institution full of enthusiasts, professionals and aficionados, all the great people that make up the AGH UST Family – stressed the Rector.
AGH UST Rector addressed this year’s freshmen:
– Dear freshmen, you are commencing a course of education at one of the best Polish universities, with over 100 years’ history. Everything that comes now will depend on your determination and commitment. I am convinced that you will rise to the challenge and achieve success. The qualifications you will gain here at AGH UST will open up vast opportunities on the labour market as well as in your everyday life. I hope you will feel good among us here. Remember, you are a very important part of our community and your achievements are the greatest joy for your academic teachers. Make good use of your time at this university!
To conclude, Professor Jerzy Lis extended wishes:
– (...) of the forthcoming academic year, despite its different format this year, bringing luck, accomplishment and even more professional and personal success for the entire AGH UST community.
After the speech made by the University Rector, Mr Piotr Nowacki advisor to Mr Andrzej Duda, the President of the Republic of Poland, read out a letter of congratulations from the President to AGH UST academic community. AGH UST’s Vice-Rector for Science, Professor Marek Gorgoń and Józef Leśniak – Deputy Governor of the Małopolska Province read out congratulatory letters from – respectively – Poland’s Prime Minister Mr Mateusz Morawiecki and the Governor of the Małopolska Province Mr Lukasz Kmita. Dr inż. Krzysztof Pawiński – the President of the AGH UST’s University Council – spoke next.
The event culminated with Professor Wojciech Łużny, Vice-Rector for Education delivering the matriculation ceremony for first-year students. Seven freshmen took the Matriculation Vows on behalf of themselves and their fellow-students. Professor Jerzy Lis wished all University’s students success and persistence in tackling the everyday routine of student life:
– Do not forget, that education is what most receive, many pass on, and few possess – added AGH UST’s Rector.
This part was followed by the Gaudeamus Igitur joyously performed in front of AGH UST’s Grand Hall and a speech delivered by Jakub Śliwiński – President of the AGH UST University Student Board.
Afterwards, Professor Tadeusz Telejko, Vice-Rector for General Affairs announced the winners of the Professor Władysław Takliński Prize, the Professor Antoni Rodziewicz-Bielewicz Prize and the Professor Zbigniew Engel Prize.
The keynote lecture on The Science of Future Science was delivered by DSc Philippe De Bouver, member of AGH UST’s University Council, visiting professor at AGH UST, University of Warsaw and Krakow University of Economics, Honorary Consul of Belgium in Krakow.
After the lecture, Professor Rafał Wiśniowski, AGH UST’s Vice-Rector for Cooperation read out the names of persons and institutions that had sent in their wishes and congratulations to AGH UST Rector in connection with the official opening ceremony for the new academic year.
The AGH UST’s Senate Session concluded with the national anthem performed by the University Orchestra.
Video coverage of the ceremony will soon be published on AGH UST’s website.
Professor Vladimir Stefanovich Litvinenko, Rector of Saint Peteresburg Mining Univeristy, Russia
Nguyen Pham Khoi, Honorary Consul of AGH UST, former Minister of Natural Resources and Environment of Vietnam
Professor Yevstakhii Kryzhanivskyi, Rector of Ivano-Frankivsk National Technical University of Oil and Gas (IFNTUNG), Ukraine
Professor Andrea Maliqari, Rector of Polytechnic University of Tirana, Albania
Professor Wilfried Eichlseder, Rector of Montanuniversität Leoben, Austria
Professor Tran Thanh Hai, Rector of Hanoi University of Mininig and Geology (HUMG), Vietnam
Professor Peter Szucs, Vice-Rector for General Affairs, University of Miskolc, Hungary
Professor Masato Murakami, Rector of Sibuara Institute of Technology (SIT) in Tokio, Japan
Profesor Klaus-Dieter Barbknecht, Rector Technische Universität Bergakademie in Freiberg, Germany
Paweł Włodarczyk, Honorary Consul of the Republic of Croatia
PhD Cao Viet Hieu, Rector of Binh Duong University, Vietnam
Professor Stanislav Kmeť, Rector of Technical University of Košice, Slovakia
Professor Yurii Bobalo, Rector of Lviv Polytechnic National University, Ukraine
Ranko Tomović, Honorary Consul of the Republic of Serbia
All rights reserved © 2020 AGH University of Science and Technology