Characteristic of studies:
1 year postgraduate studies – “Drilling Engineering" give theoretical knowledge people working in Petroleum industry or looking for job. Program covers: Drilling, Well Logging, Economics, Petroleum Geology, Oil Reservoir Production, Gas Reservoir Production, Well testing, Quality, Health, Safety & Environmental Management System and also more detailed classes like Rock Mechanics, Wellbore Design, Drilling and Production Equipment, Drilling Fluids, Drilling Technology, Well Completion and Workover.
- Petroleum Geology - The petroleum system (comprising the hydrocarbon play concept).
Source rocks. Diagenesis of O.M. - kerogen and products of its transformation. Classification, composition of crude oils and gases. Classification of conventional reservoir rocks - clastics and carbonates. Non-conventional reservoir rocks. Sub-surface trapping - role of the capillary pressure. Hydrocarbon accumulation - fields and pools. Sub-surface temperatures and pressures - HPHT. Natural hydrocarbon production mechanisms.
Geological sub-surface maps - structural and izopach. Methods of the estimation of oil and gas reserves.
- Drilling - Drilling introduction (drilling methods and technic), vertical, directional and horizontal boreholes – drilling methods and appropriately. Casing and cementing program of different boreholes design. Drill string and bottom holes assembly introduction. Drilling tools introduction.
· Rock Mechanics - Basic background, rock mass classification. Rock mechanical properties, strength, anisotropy. Hydraulic fracturing. Stress in near borehole region. Borehole wall stability.
- Well Logging - Environment of logging - borehole, flushed zone, invaded zone, virgin zone, wireline logging, MWD, LWD. Apparent parameters in logging, corrections. Variety of logging, physical parameters of rocks and physical fields - a basis of well logs. Resistivity logs - classic logs (Normal and Lateral), laterologs, Dual Laterolog: LLd and LLs. Micrologs - MSFL, electric imaging. Induction logs, Dual Induction, HRAI, simplified Doll's theory in induction logging. SP potentials: liquid-junction potential, redox potential, filtration potential. Anomalies on Resistivity curves and SP curve relating to lithology, porosity-permeability, shaliness of rocks. Effective porosity and water saturation from Archie's laws. Natural gamma radioactivity of rocks, geological reasons, measurements - standard and spectral, lithology and shaliness from GR. Density and Litho-Density logs, bulk density and porosity determination, Pe - lithology index. Neutron logging, neutron porosity, total porosity from neutron logs. Sonic log, total porosity from sonic log, acoustic full wavetrains - dynamic elastic parameters. Acoustic imaging, cement bond log. Comprehensive interpretation in well logging - calculation of volumes of mineral components, porosity, water/hydrocarbon saturation.
- Wellbore Design - Data collecting and management. Casing program and strength calculations. 3D trajectory project. Drill string design and drilling tools selection. Using software in design process and monitoring in site of work.
- Economics - Overview of the basic concepts and principles of investment's financing. The following topics will be covered: Time Value of Money (Time Lines, Future Value, Present Value, Future Value of an Annuity, Present Value of an Annuity, Perpetuities, Uneven Cash Flow Streams); The Cost of Capital (The Weighted Average Cost of Capital, Cost of Debt, Cost of Preferred Stock, Cost of Common Stock, The CAPM Approach, Dividend-Yield-plus-Growth-Rate Approach, Bond-Yield-plus-Risk-Premium Approach); Capital Budgeting (Overview of Capital Budgeting, Project Classiﬁcations, Capital Budgeting Decision Rules); Cash Flow Estimation and Risk Analysis (Estimating Cash Flows, Sensitivity Analysis, Scenario Analysis, Monte Carlo Simulation).
- Drilling and Production Equipment - Basics of drilling and production machinery. The rotary rig and its components. Drives and power transmission devices, drill string. Mud pumps and circulating system equipment. Blowout preventers and control units. Auxiliary equipment. Offshore units. Downhole equipment of oil wells. Inspection and maintenance of drilling rigs and production equipment.
- Drilling Fluids - Function of drilling fluids. Drilling fluids components. Mud type and systems. Equipment and procedure for evaluation drilling fluids performance. Completion, workover and packer fluids. Solids control.
- Drilling Technology - Technological parameters and drilling rating. Optimization of RPM and drill bit weight. Drag and torque analysis. Drilling mud rheology. Hydraulic parameters design. Directional drilling problems. Cuttings transport. Drill bit nozzle.
- Well Completion and Workover - Main parameters that influence completion design. Reservoir and technical data. Completion technique and technology. Workover planning and technology. Typical reasons of production decreasing. Economical justification of technological work. Workover rigs, coiled tubing units. Snubbing and stripping technology. Typical workover strings, milling and underreaming tools, fishing service. Functions and characteristics of workover fluids.
- Oil Reservoir Production - Reservoir and fluid properties - characteristics and method of determination. Anisotropy and heterogeneity of reservoir properties. Primary Recovery Mechanisms. Fluid properties determination in reservoir conditions. Methods of oil exploitation. Reservoir Deliverability. Inflow Performance Relationship. Introduction to Reservoir Simulation.
- Gas Reservoir Production - Systematic of gas reservoirs. Methods of gas reserves calculation. Nodal analysis method.Characteristics of horizontal wells on gas reservoirs and underground gas storages. Vertical lift performer curie for the well. Surface systems for gas conditioning and processing processes Gas dehydrate systems. Installations for sulphur removing process from gas. Installations for gasoline removing from gas. Nitrogen and helium removing from gas. Cryogenic installations. Gas orifice meters.
- Well testing - Analysis of DST test results - Agarval, Al Hussainy, Ramey curves, Gringarten, Raghavan curves. Appreciation of base parameters of reservoirs: permeability coefficient, skin effect, average reservoir pressure, absolute out flow (AOF). Appreciation of perforation influence on the well rate for oil well and for gas well. Realization of selective tests - „Production Log" test analysis.
- Quality, Health, Safety & Environmental Management System - Introduction to "QHSEMS". HSE leadership and commitment. HSE policy & strategic objectives goals. Organization, responsibilities and resources (professional training and behaviors). Risk assessment & management. Planning and procedure. Emergency response. Incident reporting, investigation and auditing.
B.SC. or M.Sc. required for enrollment
Successful candidate will get knowledge from drillig and relevant disciplines. Students who pass all exams will get postgraduate certificate of AGH University of Science and Technology
2 semesters (October 1–July 31)
from May 1 to June 15
We review applications as they become complete.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of previous school certificate (for example high school)
- Application form
- Certificate in English
- Copy of passport
- Four recent photographs
- Medical certificate in English (general health report, X-ray chest picture - medical description only)
- Official transcripts
- Health and accident insurance from 1 October to 31 July (valid in Poland).
Limit of acceptance:
Building A-1, room 104
Al. Mickiewicza 30, 30-059 Kraków
mgr Jolanta Ulman (Phone: +48 12 617 22 10)
1 600 Euro/semester (not includes accommodation )
To help candidates from industry classes are during weekends (Friday 14.00 through Sunday 13.00) average 2 times in month.
AGH University of Science and Technology, Krakow
Faculty of Drilling, Oil and Gas
al. Mickiewicza 30, 30-059 Kraków, Poland
Building A-1, room 104
phone: +48-12 617 22 10
fax: +48-12 633 80 58
The head of a postgraduate studies:
dr inż. Dariusz Knez
mgr Jolanta Ulman